Italian Pesto Cheese Torta
- 1 lb cream cheese, softened
- 15 oz ricotta cheese, drained
- 1/2 lb fresh mozzarella, drained
- 10 - 12 fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup toasted pine nuts or walnuts
- 3/4 cup Basil Pesto w/Walnuts
- 1 tsp salt
- Line a standard bread pan with a double thickness of fine-weave cheesecloth. Allow enough cheesecloth to fold over the top of the mold after the cheese has been layered. Arrange fresh basil leaves in a decorative pattern on the cheesecloth and sprinkle on 1-to-2 tablespoons of the nuts.
- Combine cream cheese, ricotta, mozzarella, and salt in a food processor (or use an electric mixer) and blend until smooth. Place one-third of the cheese mixture in the pan and smooth it into an even layer. Spread half the pesto over the top of the cheese layer, and sprinkle on half the remaining nuts.
- Repeat these layers, ending with a cheese layer. Fold the cheesecloth over the top of the final cheese layer and press slightly to even up the mold. Refrigerate one to three days.
- To unmold, press down on the cheesecloth to make sure that the cheese is firmly in place. Fold the top of the cheesecloth back and pull up on the sides a little to loosen the mold. Invert a serving plate over the pan, keeping the cheesecloth away from the top of the mold. Turn over the mold together with the plate, and then lift the pan off the cheese. Peel the cheesecloth carefully off the torta.
- Variation: Substitute other pestos for the basil pesto. Use whole sun-dried tomatoes, sliced black olives, basil, and nuts in a decorative pattern in the pan for the top of the torta.
2015 © Copyright Thymely Herbals. All rights reserved.